Join the Wonders Team
We are proud of the teachers at Wonders who are highly qualified and come from diverse cultural backgrounds and varied work experiences.
We recognize their dedication to professionalism by providing a stimulating working environment with competitive salary and benefits packages. Our commitment to the quality of our team has resulted in a highly satisfied staff and low turnover.
Our teachers are creative, mindful, and energetic.
Each are required to participate in professional development through the Wonders Professional Development Consortium. Many are also pursuing advanced child development and education degrees. Join the Wonders Team!
The Early Learning Teacher plays a dynamic role at Wonders Early Learning + Extended Day in providing high-quality, play-based learning opportunities and experiences in our programs. The Teacher is responsible for helping to create a developmentally appropriate learning environment that stimulates, nurtures and leads children’s’ social, emotional, physical and academic growth.
The Teacher, along with the Lead Teacher, is responsible for program spaces and must ensure that the spaces are safe, interesting, engaging, and reflect the diversity of our society. The Teacher participates in planning learning activities that are balanced in all areas and includes: active/quiet, long/short, group/individual, cognitive/physical, large group/small group and child-initiated/teacher-directed. Attention is given to the children's ideas and curiosities in influencing the direction of daily activities.
The Teacher, as part of a team, implements Wonders Early Learning + Extended Day policies, procedures and practices in an organized and thorough manner. Teamwork is a critical component of the Teacher position. Lead Teachers regularly meet with their team, other staff and Program Director to develop programs that follow the Wonders Early Learning Curriculum and promote the Wonders philosophy and ideals.
Wonders Early Learning + Extended Day actively supports the career and professional advancement of Teachers through continuing education. A minimum of 24 hours of such training is required yearly.
This is a full time, 12-month position.
- Meet with your team to plan and implement a developmentally appropriate program based on Wonders Early Learning + Extended Day philosophy and mission statement
- Participate in regular meetings with your Program Director, staff and team
- Maintain open communication with Head Teacher regarding children, families and team members
- Assist in orienting and training new team members for classroom responsibilities.
- Share teaching responsibilities with all team members
- Plan and participate in special events for children and families
- Ensure that all spaces used by the program:
- Are physically and emotionally safe
- Are interesting and engaging for children
- Are clean and organized
- Reflect and support the lives and work of the children present
- Introduce children to the diversity of our society
- Recognize and demonstrate an understanding of typical and atypical development of infant to five year old children, help manage atypical or disruptive behaviors of children by collaborating with the team
- Communicate with families on a regular basis to:
- Inform them of classroom curriculum and activities
- Solicit information about their child’s development and family events * Assist Lead Teacher in preparing for conferences with families
- Participate in accreditation and re-accreditation processes for your site
- Maintain children’s classroom records as defined by your Program Director
- Attend a minimum of 24 hours of MSDE/OCC approved staff training yearly
- Maintain Pediatric First Aid and CPR certification
- Maintain a clean, sanitary, healthy and a friendly classroom environment following NAEYC guidelines
- Follow NAEYC Ethical Code of Conduct
- Recognize and report signs of illness, child abuse and safety hazard to appropriate authorities
- Help to develop behavior management strategies based on Wonders Early Learning + Extended Day policy in collaboration with team members, Program Director, parents and childcare professionals/therapists across disciplines
- Become familiar with and abide by all Wonders Early Learning + Extended Day policies, including those in the staff handbook, parent handbook and terms of employment
The Extended Day Teacher plays a dynamic role at Wonders Early Learning + Extended Day in providing quality opportunities for play and experience based learning in our school-age programs. The Extended Day Teacher is a positive model, and stimulates creative thought processes, provides hands-on experiences, and promotes emotional development for children.
The Extended Day Teacher is responsible for ensuring that program spaces are safe, interesting, engaging, and reflect the diversity of our society. The Extended Day Teacher actively plans learning activities that are balanced in all areas and include: active/quiet, long/short, group/individual, cognitive/physical, large group/small group and child initiated/teacher directed. Attention is given to the children’s ideas and curiosities in influencing the direction of daily activities.
Teamwork is a critical component of the Extended Day Teacher position. Extended Day Teachers regularly meet with their team, other staff and Program Director to develop programs that follow the Wonders Extended Day Curriculum and promote the Wonders philosophy and ideals.
- BA or AA in Education or a related field preferred, minimum of high school diploma, certificate of high school equivalency, or successful completion of college courses for credit.
- Coursework must include minimum of 6 semester or 90 clock hours or equivalent of approved school-age coursework in child development and curriculum planning
- If no college courses taken for credit, at least 9 clock hours of approved training in communicating with staff, parents and the public
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working with children in an educational, recreational, or camp setting
- Creative, nurturing, dependable, and fun
Be a part of the Wonders family of caring, nurturing and fun teachers. Join our substitute teaching team! Wonders Early Learning + Extended Day believes children develop and learn through guided play in a nurturing and diverse community. We know that substantive enrichment and fun are inseparable in quality programming. Every day we need enthusiastic, energetic and experienced individuals to work when needed, to fill in for our regular staff when they are not able to work. Here are some details about our substitute teaching positions:
- This position is an on-call, as-needed position, working in either one of our 2 Early Childhood programs in Bethesda/Chevy Chase or one of 7 School Age programs in Bethesda/Chevy Chase and NW DC depending on experience, interest, and qualifications
- The Early Childhood programs are open 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- The School Age programs have before school sessions from approx. 7:00 a.m. to 9:15 a.m. and after school sessions from 2:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Hourly pay commensurate with education, qualifications, and experience
Talent + Professional Development Manager